We are currently looking for an aspiring data engineer to join our team of data engineers in Stockholm or Oslo!
As a member of the Data Foundations team, you will join our journey as we discover how to build and evolve state of the art data-driven products for Schibsted with an emphasis on volume, velocity, and privacy.
Schibsted’s Data Foundations are solving exciting problems at scale, spanning from gathering on average 1.5 billion events daily while keeping our users' privacy and data security in mind, to building and applying high quality predictive machine learning models. Our services are powering many use cases in Schibsted, such as producing insights about our customers, generating segments for the online advertising across our sites, and personalization of news on our media sites.
As part of Data Foundations you will be part of a great team developing a modern data processing pipeline at scale for Schibsted sites for a variety of purposes. As part of the Schibsted organization you will also have the opportunity to learn from and share knowledge with other data engineers and scientists across Schibsted. We encourage a diverse, collaborative, and creative work environment where you will develop, and push for, the state-of-the-art in big data processing with a privacy first mindset while handling reliability and high scalability from first principles.
What you’ll do
- Engineer and implement highly scalable systems and data pipelines for the Schibsted data management platform, both for real-time and batch processing.
- Make use of big data frameworks including Spark, Hadoop, and Kafka, as well as with a host of AWS services, notably Kinesis, S3, DynamoDB, and EMR.
- Work with product management to find the best solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
- Enable teams and local sites across the Schibsted organization to develop data-driven products and services through cross-team initiatives and collaboration.
- Design and implement best-in-class privacy compliant storage and access to personal data.
- Help define our development environment, and communicate the best development practices within the organization (e.g. code reviews, testing, etc.).
- Participate in the continuous improvement of the quality of our systems by establishing performance baselines and metrics, and SLOs based on these.
What you know
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Informatics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics or any quantitative field.
- Knowledge of, or hands on experience with, some of the state of the art big data technologies, such as Kafka, Spark, Flink, Hadoop, Storm, Cassandra.
- Our main programming languages are Scala and Python, and being familiar with either of these is a plus.
- Knowledge of, or experience with developing services and applications on, cloud solutions such as AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Interest in having an impact in our organization by keeping cross-team dependencies and relationships in mind when engineering solutions.
- Familiarity with DevOps, concurrent/multithreaded programming, or distributed systems are all advantageous.
Who you are as a person
- Respectfully proactive
- Friendly and optimistic
- Enjoy collaborating in and across teams
- Curious, who loves learning new things
Graduates with a keen interest in data engineering and related disciplines are strongly encouraged to apply. The first step is to click apply!
Schibsted is a family of digital brands with a strong Nordic position, and more than 5,000 employees. Millions of people interact with our companies every day through our leading online marketplaces, world-class media houses. We also help new promising businesses grow. Our joint mission of empowering people in their daily lives is rooted in the values of our media heritage and a legacy of bold change. At our best, we are a fearless force for change in a society built on trust and transparency.
Product & Tech is responsible for product development and technology platforms for News Media brands. The unit consists of product managers, software engineers, UX experts, and user researchers. Most of our teams work distributed, with colleagues in Oslo, Stockholm, Krakow, Gdansk, Bergen, and Stavanger.